June 27, 2021 in Tokyo, Japan. The 2020 Olympic games are well underway when word travels around the globe that American championship gymnast and prospective gold medalist Simone Biles dropped out of the competition. Simone Biles is widely considered the greatest gymnast of all time, so her withdrawal from this year’s olympic games came as a surprise to many.
While the exact reasons for Biles’ early exit remained unknown, many expected mental health to play a major role in her decision. Soon after Biles left the 2021 games, there was an outpour of support for the athlete. Especially the social media community applauded Simone for prioritizing mental health over anything else.
While Simone Biles did feel well physically, she said in an interview with Hoda Kotb (Today): “We also have to focus on ourselves, because at the end of the day, we’re human, too. We have to protect our mind and our body, rather than just go out there and do what the world wants us to do.”
So here are 6 key lessons to learn from Simone’s decision to drop out of Olympia:
- Poor mental health can impact your performance, and that’s ok to acknowledge
- Pressure to perform can become too much sometimes and it can happen to anyone
- Physical and mental wellbeing are both important, but don’t always go hand in hand
- It’s ok to take a break for mental health reasons
- There’s difference between quitting and walking away from a situation to prioritize something that is more important in the long-term
- Mental health comes first
What do you think about Simone Biles’ decision to drop out of Olympia? Let us know in the comments! Also, don’t forget to check out our other posts!
See you soon,